Sunday, September 26, 2010

Oh the Places They'll Go (AKA Anna & Tim get married!)

One thing you can count on here in Washington, DC is that Labor Day weekend will be "blessed" with terrible weather. 9.9999 times out of 10, it's blisteringly hot. And then it rains. I honestly can't remember an exception.

Until this year.

Anna and her bridal party, walking from the home she grew up in to the wedding ceremony. Many a neighbor came out to see the precession.

Lily and flower girl, Nina, waiting to greet the "big girls."

Labor Day weekend this year was truly blessed with the most delicious weather ever. Crisp blue skies. Big, fluffy white clouds. Cool breezes. Just the right touch of warm sun. Clearly someone upstairs knew that Anna and Tim were getting married, and that they deserved a little good weather. Boy oh boy did they get it!



This wedding rounded out our summer trifecta...the triple crown of wedding summers. My "baby" cousin tied the knot in a lovely ceremony followed by fantastic party. It was the only ceremony where both of my girls not only walked down the aisle but wore confident smiles as they did (clearly 2 1/2 months makes all the difference when you're 2 years old...). It was also the only ceremony that didn't allow for photography. Take my word, though, they nailed their flower girl duties!




The only snafu, if you will, was my Anna's insistence on going up with me when I did my reading. Given that it was a passage from none other than Dr. Seuss' "Oh the Places You'll Go," it was, perhaps, fitting that I'd have one of my girls with me. I had, after all, practiced those Seussical tongue-twisters on them at bedtime.




The wedding and reception were as glorious as was the weather that day. Given that I really do remember my cousin Anna as a baby, it was a surreal feeling to see her as a bride. And although I still have to do a double take when I see the foot-and-a-half difference between her and her groom (yes, this is what happens when a gymnast marries a basketball player!), I couldn't help but smile as they danced the night away.

Oh the Places You’ll Go by Dr. Seuss

On you will go though the weather be foul. 


On you will go though your enemies prowl.


On you will go though the hakken kraks howl.

Onward up many a frightening creek, though your arms may get sore and your sneakers may leak.

On and on you will hike.

And I know you'll hike far and face up to your problems whatever they are.

You'll get mixed up, of course, as you already know.

You'll get mixed up with many strange birds as you go.

So be sure when you step.

Step with care and great tact and remember that life's a great balancing act.

Just never forget to be dexterous and deft.

And never mix up your right foot with your left.

And will you succeed?

Yes! You will, indeed!

You'll move mountains!

You're off to great places!

Today is your day!

Your mountain is waiting. 


So ...get on your way!

0 comments:

 
design by suckmylolly.com