Tuesday, January 25, 2011

My dancing princesses

My dad used to tease us when we were little that he was born with a tuxedo and top hat on and a cigar in his hand (a bizarre thought...). Oh yeah, and he also walked 6 miles to school. Each way. Uphill BOTH ways. And somehow in the snow year-round.

But I digress...

He may or may not have started his life surrounded by such formality as a tux and top hat, but our little Anna did start her life destined to dance.

I'll spare you all the details from April 10, 2008... But I will foreshadow things just a bit by saying that nearly every pregnant woman in Arlington must have delivered that night. The hospital was slammed and my nurses were running from patient to patient. Being that I was a second time mom, I got less attention than I may have under other circumstances. That is until about 7 minutes before Anna was born... when I had Noah track down a nurse to check me... when we realized that I was crowning and no one was around...


The hilarity of the situation was not lost on me, and the laughing that ensued caused Anna to literally skate on out. Her first performance. Such grace!

Since she learned to walk she hasn't looked back. But she doesn't walk. Or run. She dances. So, naturally, when it came time to enroll her in a winter weekend activity this year, ballet got the vote.


Unlike Lily, who never really took to dance (to each their own... Lily is kicking some downward dog tushie in yoga right now!), I knew that Anna would love it. Almost as much as I love dressing my girls up for ballet.

Ah the memories... Remember when Lily started (oh go ahead and click through...the photos are SO worth it!)? Even if it didn't take with her, she was pretty darn cute!

Anna's now three weeks in to the session, and a total natural if I do say so myself. And she loves it. Unlike Lily's class way back when I was oh-so-pregnant-with-Anna-and-as-big-as-a-whale-and-had-to-dance-around-the-studio-looking-like-a-fool, Anna's class isn't a Mommy & Me. It's a I'm-two-now-and-can-do-this-on-my-own-thank-you-very-much! class. And although I was skeptical, I convinced her two little gal pals from preschool to sign up too. Bet paid off, and the posse of girls is loving it.


And although I have to miss CBS Sunday Morning, I now get to spend my Sunday mornings sipping coffee and watching pint sized ballerinas dance their little hearts away. Watch out Bolshoi...Anna Lake is on the loose!

0 comments:

 
design by suckmylolly.com