Monday, July 13, 2009

The Little Engine That Could


To both minimize my environmental impact, and maximize my exercise opportunities, I've started taking the girls to school on my bike. It's only fitting, I suppose, given the fact that my father took me the 3 or 4 blocks to my elementary school ON his bike. Or motorcycle. Whichever he was "driving" that day. History does have a tendency to repeat itself.

Lily's school is only about 1.5 miles or so from the house. And Anna's "school" is dap-smack in between. Amazingly the route is uphill both ways. I'm not quite sure how that's possible, but just ask my quads and glutes and they'll tell you that it is. Loud and clear. It's a hard ride. Made even harder when you're pulling a trailer filled with some 65 pounds of offspring.

The girls do appear to love it. Well, Anna HATES the helmet and protests loudly when I strap her in. But as soon as they feel the wind in their hair, the singing starts. From both of them. Which certainly helps this "little engine" power up those hills!

(Pardon the blackberry-powered photos. Not the best although my faithful bbery does work in a pinch!)

0 comments:

 
design by suckmylolly.com