Sunday, September 20, 2009

Score!

Unbeknownst to Lily, I signed her up for soccer this fall. I've been meaning to enroll her for awhile. But every time I made the mistake of asking, she chose art. Or swimming. Or dance. But never soccer. Call me crazy, but I think that every child should learn to play soccer. To run around on a field. To get great exercise. To play a team sport.

Operating under the premise that sometimes it's better to ask forgiveness than permission -- and, um, hello I'm the mom and dammit that means I get to make SOME of the decisions around here! -- I signed her up. Weeks in advance. And told her about it the night before it began.

She wasn't exactly thrilled with the initiative that I'd taken. But after realizing that it meant she got to go to shopping, and that she'd get to buy her own soccer ball, shin guards and a new "soccer shirt," she agreed it give it a try.

Lily is amazing at nearly everything she tries. She was super fast to pick up language. And writing. She's a pretty darn impressive artist. And I even think she's got talent when it comes to ballet. Even though she complains bitterly about going.

Soccer on the other hand... Well, she's got a lot to learn. There were definitely tiny tikes on the field who "got it." There are pre-k kids in her group who are naturally athletic and quick studies when it comes to the skills and the game. Lily was much more interested in her new pink ball and in trying to show off for Coach Bob.





Anna, on the other hand, couldn't get enough. She screamed as she tried to wrestle out of Noah's arms in a desperate attempt to join the others on the field. When we found a spare #3 ball for her, she was in hog heaven. And, um, my little girl has quite the arm when it comes to throwing out of bound balls back in to play!





0 comments:

 
design by suckmylolly.com