Thursday, April 3, 2008

Fish

What seems like eons ago, I signed Lily up for a winter swim class through Arlington Parks & Recreation. Noah was set to take her. This would be the beginning of their "official pre-baby bonding time," as I'm assuming once Goldilocks arrives they're going to be spending LOTS of time together.

Having taken an Arlington swim class with Lily last winter, I knew full well that parents participated IN the pool. Noah showed up on day 1 in his swim suit ready to go. Turns out he was the only parent in that kind of suit on the pool deck; the others, apparently mind readers, were still in their business suits. Beginner Swim 1, for those who can read between the lines, is for kids-only. Sorry Noah. I may never live that one down!

Anyway, the last 10 weeks of class has had its ups and downs. Lily loved it at first. Then hated it. We let her skip a few (she actually begged to go grocery shopping one Tuesday night instead of swim). Then we changed our tactics....we'd trick her in to the car with the promise of an "adventure." Of course she caught on when Noah would pull in to the Yorktown High School gym parking lot. But at that point, half the battle was over since they were already there.

This week was the last class in the series. So focused were we on our family's "next great adventure" (aka Goldie's arrival), that we almost missed the class. I'll admit...we forgot. I had picked Lily up a little early from school and had her out on the playground (it was one of those incredible 70+ degree Spring evenings). Noah called me from the car, about 11 minutes before class was set to begin, alerting me to the fact that she did, indeed, have swim....he'd be late but he'd meet us there.

As he had done over the past few weeks, I hurried Lily off the playground and told her we were going on an adventure. As she had been doing to him, she called my bluff when we pulled in to the parking lot (yes, it is only about 4 blocks from our house and, yes, we do drive there). But then the most amazing thing happened....she hollered HOORAY and jumped out of the car.

Three year old brains really are fascinating things (BTW, Lily has taken to saying "because I'm smart in my brain" when I ask her how she knows X, Y or Z....which I ask almost daily....because I'm TOTALLY amazed by her these days). Why did she hate swim class, for weeks on end, and was now practically running towards the pool? Good question. No answer here. But I was delighted!

Something must have clicked. Lily happily jumped in to the pool (which got me a good scolding from the teacher -- apparently kids aren't allowed in w/o a teacher or parent before the age of 5) and was all smiles for the entire class.

She was a total fish. She was a rock star swimmer. She'd go under the water...kick her legs....use her arms.....float on her back. She jumped in when the others would only timidly slide in. Gusto was the name of the game.

I WISH that I'd had my camera there. Then again, some things are better experienced than photographed. Perhaps she would have turned off the enthusiasm, as she's sometimes apt to do, when she saw the camera appear.

All I can tell you is that it was so much fun to watch. Totally awesome. I was filled with pride. Noah was beaming (he did make it, and only about 2 minutes late). This is what parenthood is all about....makes the tantrums and whining instantly vanish from your memory!

0 comments:

 
design by suckmylolly.com