Thursday, January 8, 2009

Holiday Highlights, Part Deux

Since poor Lily had been a fairly good sport, putting up with two sick parents for much of the week, I decided to drag my infected sinus, pink eyed self out on a little kiddie-centered outing. And where better than a spot we'd never been before...but had often talked about...the Air & Space Museum near Dulles Airport.

Lily was thrilled when she heard about our destination; off we went. Anna napped in the car as we drove the half hour to the airport. Lily talked. Nonstop. About how she was going to ride in an airplane once we got there. Because Nettie told her that you could ride in airplanes at this museum. Lord I hoped this was true!

We arrived at the "free" museum (they get you with the $12 parking fee) without a hitch, thanks to my handy friend Ms. GPS. For those of you who haven't been there, it is a stunningly beautiful building in the landing path of international flights bound for IAD (Dulles Airport in FAA speak). Off we went to find a plane...any plane...to "ride" in.

The museum is housed in a large airplane hanger-type building. There are dozens of planes, from all ages, that scatter the lower level as well as at least that many suspended from the ceiling. Lily and I were both stunned by the sight when we first entered the building. We immediately ran down the ramp, practically capsizing Anna's stroller in the process, off in search of the plane. We were in great shape until we got down to the bottom of the ramp. Lily froze. In terror. I have never seen her react like that to anything -- my child is not exactly the timid type -- but she was paralyzed by fear. Afraid that one of the planes was going to fall on her head. Not even astronaut ice cream could make her feel better.

Since the visit was headed downhill, and fast, I knew that I had to find something for her to ride in. Since, contrary to the tales my mother had told her, you cannot ride in a plane at the museum, I had to figure out a Plan B. Even faster. So off we went to the simulators, where the woman selling tickets promised me that one of the rides was appropriate for a four year old. And a baby. And only one parent between them. $14 later, we were headed for the machine and a six minute "ride" in an "airplane." I'll spare you the details, but about 45 seconds in to the simulator ride, I had to hit the emergency stop button. The three of us emerged, Anna clinging to me for dear life, Lily a pale shade of green, and me sweating through my clothes. Please heed my warning and DO NOT believe salespeople who are likely incentivized to sell unsuspecting moms tickets to their NIGHTMARE of a machine. It is most certainly not appropriate. For women, children, babies or lunatics either.

The McDonald's McCafe saved us. Sort of. Lily wanted to go home. Immediately. I think most of the people there knew that she had had enough.



The following day was our last for vacation. Where had the two weeks gone? Since Noah and I didn't think that we could hear one more "I'm BBOOORRREEDDD!" we decided to pack it in and head to the Baltimore Aquarium. Surely fish would be a bigger hit than airplanes.


They were. Sort of. Anna was completely enthralled by the exhibits. She barely blinked during the dolphin show.





Lily was a bit more relaxed at this museum than she had been the day before. We actually got a few smiles out of her, although we weren't permitted to take any photos. "Don't even think about it!" was her warning. A reflection, here and there, was about all Noah was able to sneak.

At four, she's even learned the art of "talk to the hand."

But that's ok. Perhaps Lily will warm up on her next trip to the Aquarium. Or the one after that. After being tortured by a bored preschooler during her winter vacation, I decided to get a family membership to the Baltimore Aquarium. Because Winter is long. And it's just January. And there's no way that we're going to make it to Spring with Lily climbing the walls in Arlington. Charm City -- I hope you're ready for Madam Lily!

0 comments:

 
design by suckmylolly.com