Sunday, March 22, 2009

Is she really only four?

I know you've heard it before -- are probably sick of hearing it -- and I know it's totally cliche. But I'm regularly amazed by my elder daughter. The one I gave birth to almost 4 1/2 years ago. The one whose hair is rapidly losing its curls but who still draws them in when doing a self-portrait. The one who is growing like a weed. That would be Lily. My totally amazing daughter. My daughter who also had a birthday party on her calendar today.

People often ask me how I "do it all." Work full time. Parent. Blog. Exercise. Yada, yada, yada. Well, let me assure you that I don't. Not even close to "it all." Something always has to give. And since reclaiming my pre-pregnancy body recently made a come-back on the 'ole priority list, apparently keeping a good selection of birthday wrapping paper in stock fell. Drastically.

Rather than rush out to the store for a new roll of pretty paper, we suggested that Lily use the plain yellow paper to wrap her dear friend's present, but that she dress it up by making her own card. Since she's in a particularly creative stage right now -- read, art supplies are TAKING. OVER. MY. HOUSE! -- she was more than happy to go that route.

While I shouldn't have been surprised by the end result, I was. Shocked. The picture on the front -- of Lily (curly haired) and Carley (straight haired) -- was cute. As were the decorations throughout. But her written note is what stopped me in my tracks. I think that her hand writing is almost as good as Noah's. No joke.

She started to get a bit tired, and thus sloppy, towards the end. But I still can't believe that she's 4 and doing so well. This proud mama had to share with you, Internet. I also can't believe that she's got another year and a half before kindergarten. I fear that she'll be able to co-teach the class by the time she gets there.





Then again, perhaps all moms are as in awe of their kids as I am. Perhaps we all think that we've got a little prodigy on our hands. In fact, I'm almost certain that we all do. And I'll happily accept my membership in this "proud mom" club!

0 comments:

 
design by suckmylolly.com