Monday, March 30, 2009

XXIX Spring Olympiad?


We had a great weekend -- complete with playdates, dinner parties and good friends -- but I am so, so tired. Dog tired.

Yesterday, in particular, was a somewhat ridiculous day. Planes, trains and automobiles? Almost. Running, dancing and riding, though.

The day started out with us racing downtown, in chilly/rainy weather, for the Scope It Out 5k, a road race fundraiser for colon cancer awareness and research, in which I was running. This race was part of my early goal-setting with my uber-trainer Sheila. Although I'm now convinced more than ever that I just don't like running, I was thrilled beyond compare that not only did I finish, but I beat my goal by several minutes and crossed the finish line in under half an hour. The last 5k that I ran -- many years and many pounds ago -- took me 34 minutes. Thanks to the brutal interval training I've been doing with Sheila, I was able to shave more than 4 minutes from my time. Not bad for a mama of two!

From the race we ran (pardon to pun) to Lily's new ballet class. We had to do a costume change in the car, and I had to watch her from a corner of the observation room so that I didn't scare the other moms. Let's just say that I was a bit sweaty and, um, smelly. Hopefully this class will be more successful than the last one, as you may recall, which started off strong but bombed in the end.
Mad at me for taking her picture.

Our day ended in Leesburg, VA at an eventing show my cousin Rebecca was in. The weather cooperated perfectly; the sun came out, and the temperatures rose, as we drove out to the country. Rebecca and her young horse did SUPREMELY well. Lily spent most of the time digging in the mud (future archaeologist?) and declared that the horse show was "WAY more fun than watching TV!" When she wasn't stomping in the mud or splashing in puddles, she was following Rebecca around like a little puppy.





Super great weekend all around. Work may feel like a vacation though; I'm looking forward to just sitting in front of a computer, being still, for a few hours.

0 comments:

 
design by suckmylolly.com