Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Milking the Media

Or, perhaps more accurately, milk IN the media.

Remember my outrage at the nerve of PETA to demand that Ben & Jerry's start using breastmilk (as if!) in their ice cream? I caught wind of that one early, saw it play out over the CNN airwaves and thought that it was over. New news cycle. That one, thankfully, seemed to register only a tiny blip on the screen.

Until now.

ProfNet is a service whereby reporters can post their queries and we in the PR business, whose companies presumably pay a subscription fee of sorts, see them and can plug our clients in as "experts." Where applicable. Or our friends. When we can.

Thanks to ProfNet, Noah's friend Steve, and his wife Mariah, were featured in a Parade article (with a great photo!), back in January, about eating healthy and staying fit. You know Parade. It's that weird little insert magazine in the weekend paper. It's a bit cheesy and likely not worth it's weight in paper...but for the fact that it has a circulation of over 30,000,000 (yes million) and every one of my clients would give their right arm to be in it.

I recently saw another ProfNet query on low-cost holiday traditions. My friend Jamie and her siblings have a great one that's developed over the years. They write (roast-worthy) songs about each other. Act out little plays. Film movies. A total riot. She was recently interviewed for, yup!, another Parade article. Thank you ProfNet!

So last night when I saw that Univision.com was looking for nutrition and health experts to comment on the breastmilk issue, I couldn't hold myself back.


NUTRITION/TODAY: Mother's Milk for Adult
Consumption -- Univision.com


I am writing an article about the possible use of breast milk in the making of regular ice cream. I would like to hear arguments (from doctors and nutritionists) for and against the adult consumption of mother's milk. Grown-ups should not drink human milk because -- It is not hygienic? Because it is unhealthy? Because it is immoral? Or because it is an impractical idea? Contact: Maria XXX.


I quickly fired back a response and suggested that the reporter also speak with a lactation consultant. Of course, I plugged Pat Shelly at the Breastfeeding Center of DC (she is among a small group of professionals who should put me on retainer!).

The reporter immediately responded, thanking me for the referral that she was going to pursue, and asked if she could quote ME in the article as well.

"Although I'm a huge proponent of breastfeeding my babies, not only does this idea creep me out but it's completely impractical! Ask anyone who nurses their baby -- especially if they also work outside the home (but even those who stay home with their kids) -- and they'll tell you that they can barely keep up with the demand!"

So look out for a Univision article, in Spanish of course, some time before the New Year. It'll quote yours truly. Because, in her words, "being the mother of two lovely breast-fed daughters makes you an expert and a spokeswoman for many working mothers." So, I've become the voice of working/lactating mothers everywhere. If they only knew...they'd probably ask for their money back!

PS -- also be on the lookout for the April '09 Consumer Reports baby product edition. Yes, I'm quoted in that too. About BPA-free baby bottles. Although you'll have to wait to read my thoughts about the Adiri Natural Nurser. Click on this link, though, to see the product. Then let your imagination wander regarding what I might have said about this "booby bottle"...

0 comments:

 
design by suckmylolly.com