Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Halftime

8 weeks ago, tomorrow, Anna was born. 8 weeks ago our family expanded from three to four. 8 weeks from tomorrow I, sigh, return to work (why does the time have to fly by so quickly?!?).


Lessons I have learned in less than two short months...

  • Two kids are more than twice the work but about four times as much fun.

  • It is possible to love both children equally. Adoring Lily as much as I do, I never thought I'd be able to love another child as much. But what I've found is that I do love Anna as much as I love Lily...and seeing Lily being so good with the baby has made me love her even more. I suppose our hearts just grow, exponentially, with each child.

  • Call it "new math" but 2 children + 1 mother + 1 father = 2 single parents. Without even planning for it, Noah and I immediately hit the "divide and conquer" button. He now assumes 90% of the responsibility for Lily while I assume 90% of the responsibility for Anna. Noah has definitely risen to the challenge.

  • Not all babies are the same. Silly me. I assumed that because I was having another girl she'd end up being a mini Lily. Nothing could be further from the truth. I adore my sweet little Anna, but I'll finally admit -- out loud -- that she's a fussy baby. Definitely not colic, thank goodness, but she's fussy. Lily had a temper and could go from smile and coos to blood-curdling screams in no time flat. Anna doesn't have that streak, but she's much more particular than Lily ever was. Perhaps it's because just about anything could soothe Lily -- she was a pacifier addict; switched between the breast and bottle without batting an eye; had a lovey that she, well, loved. With Anna, on the other hand, I've had to try every brand and make of pacifier on the market...to no avail. She doesn't care for bottles, although I try her on one every day knowing that, 8 weeks from today, it's the only way she's going to be able to eat (no pressure there!!). I do see some signs that, perhaps, she is just taking her time to find her own means of comfort in the form of thumb sucking. Time will tell, I guess, especially as she gains more control over her hands. Can't say that I blame her. I was a major thumb sucker and, no, I won't admit for how long. ;) Suffice it to say, we can already tell that the girls are their own little people.

I continue to try to live in the moment. Enjoy this time I have, alone, with Anna. Work will come all too quickly. 8 weeks to be exact. I know that once I don't have this time with her I'll miss even her fussiness. Until then, she does reward me, quite often, with smiles that make my heart explode. This just started a few days ago....but, oh how it makes us all, especially Lily, just want to eat her up! Click below to enjoy the "halftime" show.


0 comments:

 
design by suckmylolly.com