Monday, June 2, 2008

Special Day


Some of my best childhood memories -- from summers spent splashing in their black bottom pool to my sweet sixteen garden party at their Old Town house -- involve David and Marianne Ginsburg.  



Uncle David -- my maternal grandmother's first cousin -- and Nana, as we affectionately refer to them, invited Anna and me over to their house today for lunch.  This was Anna's formal introduction to the family patriarch.  


Lily was named in honor of my grandmother (Dorothy Lewis Polan) and Anna in honor of my grandfather (Lake Polan Jr.).  Both Grandad and Memaw were extraordinarily important to me...and, quite frankly, still are.  It gave me incredible pleasure...and great pride...to introduce Anna to Uncle David and Nana.  Since Memaw and Grandad will never hold her, it was especially important that 96 year old Uncle David got to.

  

I was amazed by her response to him.  She was more alert than I've ever seen her, more peaceful than I've ever seen her, and I've never seen so many smiles erupt on that little face of hers than I did today.  It was a very special day indeed!


0 comments:

 
design by suckmylolly.com