Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Out of the mouth of babes

Noah and Lily were having a serious conversation the other day about, of all things, soda. Lily, who was convinced that becoming a big sister would entitle her to drink Diet Coke and lattes, now quizzes us often about when this will be allowed.

Lily was relentless the other day. After being asked half a dozen times, Noah finally said she could drink Diet Coke "when you're a teenager."

"When I'm a tiny jerk?" Lily repeated, looking confused.

Ah, if only she knew how close she really was to the truth. At least in my case. No sooner had I blown out the 13th candle on my birthday cake then, poof, I had indeed turned in to a tiny jerk. Who didn't smile. Especially in important family photos. For a least a solid year.

Who knows, perhaps if we let her start drinking the coveted beverage before she becomes a teenager, maybe we'll avoid the "tiny jerk" years... One can only hope. And hope some more. But the current hands on hips and shaking of her finger at us while rolling her eyes probably is an indication that we're in for a wild ride ahead. Doesn't give me much hope, but it sure makes me laugh!

0 comments:

 
design by suckmylolly.com